When we arrived at the gate, it was clear that I may be the only Caucasian on this flight. On the bright side, it appears that I will be the tallest person on the plane (first time ever). Since I wasn't standing out quite enough, I went ahead and snapped a picture of the departure sign, to the dismay of Sharon. If only I had worn my Apollo Ohno t-shirt...

We got to our seats...good news / bad news...we are in the exit row, so a lot of legroom, but a window seat with no window and no view the next 14 hours.

We were hoping to be able to see a little bit as the route to Seoul takes us north over Alaska. We leave at 12:30PM EST and arrive on Wednesday at 3:30PM Korea time (2:30AM EST).

The plane is packed and someone already took my my bag out of the overhead compartment and put it in an empty seat. Fortunately, Sharon saw it and I was able to put it back. Again, surrounded by Koreans, and now trapped in the aisle, I managed to say the wrong version of 'excuse me' in Korean and squeezed through back to my seat.
We sat next to a very kind older Korean woman who did not speak hardly any English. We talked a bit with her broken English and our broken Korean and she wished us well on our adoption.
Since we are sitting in the exit row, the video screens have to be pulled out from in between the seats. Sharon is having a bit of a challenge with hers, and we can't figure out how to remove what appears to be Arabic subtitles. We actually asked for more masking tape to help stabilize it. This is what $1750 will get you on a Delta flight:

We had Korean bulgogi for our first meal which was okay (not authentic). We should have taken a clue from the Korean women beside us who ordered the Western meal instead.
Sharon is reading an adoption magazine. In an average year in the US, there are around one million abortions and 15,000 adoptions. Wow.

We are going to try to get some sleep early and then stay up for the last 8 hours of the flight to help with the sleep transition in Korea. Got the Ambiance app on the iPad with the 'Window Fan' white noise sound along with the noise canceling headphones.
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Detroit to Seoul
I hope your travel goes well!! The Seoul airport is one of the best in the world...a good place to land. I'm lifting you guys up!
ReplyDeleteI am loving the fact that you have your "fan". I so would have one too.
ReplyDelete