Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Our first full day with Isaac

Issac in the car with Mommy leaving the Adoption Agency

Brent writing - After crying or weeping for most of the day yesterday, Isaac was better last night. He was eating, sharing and helping to clean up. We heard him singing a little and would say 'anja omma' which means 'sit mommy' for Sharon to sit by him on the couch. Sharon is so good with him...he already preferring her over me which is exactly what we need right now.

I read him a story on the iPad, held for a while and sang to him to calm him down before bed. He fell asleep to us singing "When I am afraid I will trust in You...". He was not ready to sleep with us in the bed, but wanted to sleep in his spot on the couch which was fine. We pulled the smaller bed over to the couch and I slept there just in case. He slept through the night, about 9 hours, and Sharon and I got some rest as well..


This morning, we think that reality set in for Isaac, and his crying turned to grieving. He sat in the same spot on the couch holding his bear and rocking for 3 hours. We were just there for him and tried to comfort him. We know that ultimately this is good for him to grieve, but it is still so hard to watch and not to be able to help or communicate.

We decided to take a chance and leave the room for a while with him. There was a play area downstairs and we explored a bit. This helped as he didn't like being stuck in the the little hotel room. We ended up leaving the hotel and walking around the area for a while. Little Isaac did well in following our direction and holding our hand when asked.



We found the Hangul (Korean language) museum and walked around for a while. It was pretty big and fairly kid proof so we let Isaac run around a bit.

I love this picture.

We got dinner on the way back to the hotel and ate in the resident's lounge. Isaac sat in a high chair, which he rarely does, and ate for about 45 minutes. He was singing a little and even smiled every now and then.


After delaying as long as possible, we went back to our room and Isaac is whimpering again and in his spot. Every time is sees or hears something that reminds him of the foster family he starts to tear up. Only one more day in this hotel room and we go home. We are looking forward to and dreading tomorrow. Praying for good sleep tonight for Isaac and for us.

Thank you again to so many of you for your prayers and words of encouragement. It means so much to us that we are not in this alone. 

3 comments:

  1. I love these pictures of your first days together. Praying now for more sleep right now, and for continued process of bonding tomorrow. Praising God for the bonding that has taken place, and for his 9 hours of sleep last night!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for that airplane trip home! Hopefully he loves that airplane ride. Is there a Pororo (?? - the penguin he likes) airplane that might help him get excited for the trip?

    Love you guys!

    ~Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep looking at the clock, figuring the time in Korea and praying for you all. I can't even imagine what you all are going through as I fight tears just reading about it! Praying for a smooth flight home and continue adjustment.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete